MSology Library – MS therapies
Aubagio (teriflunomide). Trial results from two phase III studies.
TENERE study comparing Aubagio with Rebif. Vermersch and colleagues. Mult Scler 2014;20:705-716.
– TEMSO trial of teriflunomide vs. placebo. O’Connor and colleagues. N Engl J Med 2011;365:1293-1303. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa1014656
Gilenya (fingolimod). Two phase III studies in MS have reported on the effectiveness and safety of fingolimod.
– FREEDOMS trial of fingolimod vs. placebo. Kappos and colleagues. N Engl J Med 2010;362:387-401. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa0909494
– TRANSFORMS trial of fingolimod vs. Avonex. Cohen and colleagues. N Engl J Med 2010;362:402-415. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa0907839
Laquinimod. One phase III study has been published for laquinimod, a new MS treatment in development.
– ALLEGRO trial of laquinimod vs. placebo. Comi and colleagues. N Engl J Med 2012;366:1000-1009. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa1104318
Tecfidera (BG-12). Two phase III studies have reported on the effectiveness and safety of BG-12 in MS.
– DEFINE trial of BG-12 vs. placebo. Gold and colleagues. N Engl J Med 2012;367:1098-1107. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa1114287
– CONFIRM trial of BG-12 or Copaxone vs. placebo. Fox and colleagues. N Engl J Med 2012;367:1087-1097. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa1206328
Tysabri (natalizumab). Two phase III studies have been published on the effectiveness and safety of natalizumab in MS.
– AFFIRM trial of natalizumab vs. placebo. Polman and colleagues. N Engl J Med 2006;354:899-910. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa044397
– SENTINEL trial comparing Avonex with and without natalizumab. Note that this trial was stopped early after two people developed PML. Rudick and colleagues. N Engl J Med 2006;354:911-923. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa044396
Lemtrada (alemtuzumab) Two phase III studies have been published but are not available as free downloads.
A review of Lemtrada in MS. & Cohen. Expert Rev Clin Immunol 2013;9:189-191. www.expert-reviews.com/doi/pdf/10.1586/eci.13.1
Phase II trial results comparing Lemtrada with Rebif. CAMMS223 Trial Investigators. N Engl J Med 2008;359:1786-801. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa0802670
Daclizumab. This medication is in development for MS but is not yet available (in Canada). – Phase III SELECT trial. Giovannoni and colleagues. J Neurol 2014;261:316-323. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3915085/pdf/415_2013_Article_7196.pdf
Cladribine: A new oral medication that is now available in Europe and Canada.
– Phase III CLARITY trial. Giovannoni and colleagues. N Engl J Med 2010;362:416-26. www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa0902533
To return to the MSology Library, please click here
Share this article
Facebook Twitter pin it! Email